History of CBS Ennistymon
The Christian Brothers have a long and proud tradition in education in Ennistymon. In 1824, at the request of Rev. Peter O'Loughlin, Blessed Edmund Ignatius Rice sent three Brothers to the town. Their mission was to establish a school for the Catholic boys of the area who had no opportunity of receiving any education. Secondary pupils continued to attend classes in the old building until 1970 when a new school was built on the "top of the hill"
The present school has 10 classrooms, a Science Laboratory and a fully equipped Computer Room. In 2007 we acquired the former primary school which has since been converted into a Woodwork Room, and a Technical Drawing Room. The facilities in the Parish Community Centre are used for Games and PE and also for whole school gatherings. Outdoor games are played on the school's playing field.
C.B.S. Ennistymon is now getting ready to change once more. The decision to amalgamate the three Secondary schools into a new Community School has been announced by the Government. The new school, which is included in the Public Private Partnership Scheme, will be built on a greenfield site on the Lahinch Road. We look forward to bringing the traditional values of Edmund Rice - inclusion and concern for all - into the new school, which will cater for the educational needs of this area in the coming years.